Built in 1931, Edgewater’s All Saints Church has been a shared ministry since its inception.
The church was planned as a joint project intended to serve Lutherans, Anglicans and United Church members. The land had been donated by Columbia Valley Ranches. Support was gathered from a dozen local sources: local Anglicans contributed $1,000, the United congregation loaned $1,000, Bishop Dowell was able to secure $400 in grants, and the Women’s Auxiliary raise the remainder of funds that were needed. The Edgewater Sawmill donated lumber for the framing of the church.
Master carpenter Elof Madsen drew up plans and began construction, assisted by Louis Ploughman. For the interior of the church, Madsen built the pews, the pulpit and the christening font using dried wood from Canal Flats.
On Sunday, September 17, 1931 over 100 people from all over the Columbia Valley attended the opening service. Bishop Dowell from Vernon led the service, and he was assisted by Reverend E. Stanford. The celebration was followed by a lunch at the Edgewater Community Hall. By May of 1933, the church was completely finished and free of debt, and the Bishop returned for a special consecration ceremony.
In 1973 the Anglican Church Women and the United Church Women joined forces to become the All Saints Guild. Over the years they have maintained and cared for this vintage church and its grounds, which are graced by a heritage cemetery. In 1981 Reverend John Stainer presided over All Saints’ 50th anniversary celebration.
The guild has invited Regional Head Derrick Smith to lead the celebration of its 80th birthday October 2 at 4 p.m. Following the service everyone is welcome at the Harvest Dinner at the Edgewater Legion.