Remember When? (April 2nd, 2014)

A look back through The Valley Echo's archives over the past 55 years.

55 years ago (1959):

A successful St. Patricks day bazaar was held by the Women’s Auxillary of All Saints Anglican church at Edgwater. A fruit cake beautifully decorated by Mrs. D. Sawchuk, was won by Mr. Paddy Brown in a chinese raffle.


50 years ago (1964):

A Canal Flats man was recovering in the Invermere Hospital after he went over a bank.    Arnold Ellis suffered head and chest injuries after going over the 10 foot bank. The tractor had overturned on top of him.


45 years ago (1969):

On March 8th marriage vows were exchanged between Melody Joy Atchison and Miles Atchison at Edgwater United church. The bride, given away by her uncle, Charles Kohorst, looked charming in a sky blue crimp knit suit.


40 years ago (1974):

Mrs. Eileen Madson, vice president of the B.C. School Trustees Association attended a conference in Winnipeg. The conference was an exchange of knowledge and concerns in education. This conference was attended by school trustees of the four Western provinces.


30 years ago (1984):

Volunteer firemen were honoured at a dinner held by the Council of the District of Invermere. The dinner was held at the Invermere Inn on Saturday March 31st. It was an annual affair to be a token of appreciation for the efforts of the firemen. Mayor Adolf Hromadnik spoke a few words of appreciation and introduced guests, Sgt. Ron Halverson and his wife.


20 years ago (1994):

Patrick Heaps was asked to carve a foot for a transient chain gang worker who had broken his prosthesis. His custom carved mirrors had been sold to people all over the world. Prices ranged from $500 to $3,500. His carvings also included functional items such as chests and clocks. Heaps concentrated on his art in the summer leaving him time to ski in the slow season.


15 years ago (1999):

British Columbia Highway 93 through Kootenay National Park, from the hot pools to Castle Junction, was closed Monday morning due to extreme weather conditions.  The highway had been closed since at least 7 a.m. that morning.  It later reopened at 11 a.m.


5 years ago (2009):

Andy Kwiecien and Randy Lafou embarked on what they thought would be their last ski touring expedition on March 21st. Instead what they experienced left their rational minds grasping for facts. The two men believe they spotted a sasquatch near Toby Creek service road. They had a video but it did not have conclusive evidence.