55 years ago (1959):
The Invermere junior Ladies Hospital Aid announced that Miss Erla Tegart of Brisco was to be crowned as the reigning Queen of Windermere at a ceremony at the East Kootenay Agricultural and Industrial Exhibition.
50 years ago (1964):
Mr. and Mrs. Louis Newhouser received word that their son, Duncan deKergommeaux of Ottawa, had a large painting accepted for display at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts. He also had paintings in the Banff School of Fine Arts and in Victoria.
45 years ago (1969):
Invermere Village Council was informed their application for Grant in Aid for the airport at the the Crossroads on Shuswap Band land would proceed. The Chamber of Commerce had begun negotiations to obtain land at the Crossroads more than 10 years earlier.
40 years ago (1974):
Jim Wilks’ Grade 4 class was in the playground Friday making pre-fabricated bird houses out of slabs, under the instruction of Thom Meredith, Kootenay Park Naturalist.
30 years ago (1984):
There was good news for many of the unemployed in the northern end of the valley. Brisco Wood Preservers Ltd., owned by George and Jeanette Lautrup were to begin operating by the middle of July. Fire had destroyed a large part of Brisco Sawmills just over a year earlier.
20 years ago (1994):
George Futa, a resident of Invermere for many years, died May 20th in the Cranbrook and District Hospital after a long illness. George came to Invermere from Cranbrook during the Second World War with his parents and brothers, Frank and Buoye. In 1943 he married Alice Edmunds of Canal Flats. In 1969, they moved to Cranbrook.
15 years ago (1999):
Rocky Mountain Internet Junction of Golden had been awarded the contract to construct a wireless network connecting schools in Golden, Invermere, Kimberley and the surrounding area to B.C.’s provincial learning network, doubling the valley’s internet access.
10 years ago (2004):
May 29th was the official opening of the Brisco Community Hall, commemorated by long-time residents Val and Winston Wolfenden who shared nostalgic information about the original hall. The couple then unveiled two plaques paying tribute to donors and sponsors of the hall.
5 years ago (2009):
Premier Gordon Campbell announced at the B.C. Cattlemen’s association AGM a new fencing program would be developed and a new ranching task force was to be in place to protect livestock along highways and rail corridors.