50 years ago: Two dry-kiln operations began operating at the Simon Ronacher and Son Lumber Company Ltd. yards in Athalmer. The automatic oil-heated kiln had a 40,000 board feet capacity placed in the kiln for 24 to 36 hours. The Ronacher operations employed 16 men at the planer and 18 at the camp located at Shuswap creek. Annual production was 7,000,000 to 8,000,000 board feet of spruce and fir.
45 years ago: Due to a prolonged strike at USA Smelter and lack of market, Mineral King Mine closed suddenly. Canada Manpower office from Cranbrook were interviewing several staff. The layoff of approximately 90 men would have a serious economic effect on this area.
40 years ago: The hospital extension officially opened on November 26th. The public was welcome to see the presentation of a bronze plaque and ribbon cutting done officially by F.E. Coy who was the sole medical practitioner of the district from 1919 to 1940. The extension meant the hospital went from 24 beds to 31 beds, and old wards were converted into a doctors’ lounge, a staff dining room, and a playroom for child patients.
25 years ago: Joe Patton received a plaque from Canada Hall of Fame and the Aero Space Museum Association for his close to 60 years of contribution to the field of aviation in Canada.
15 years ago: Roscoe Dalke and Helen Metcalfe were the owners of the new “Stedmans” franchise dealership in Invermere that opened on December 1, 1977.
5 years ago: Panorama Mountain Village hosted the Telus Women’s World Cup Slalom and Giant Slalom. An estimated 40 million people worldwide were expected to watch. Columbia Valley resident and Alpine Canada’s program director Dusan Grasic said it would be a fantastic weekend. Light Up Night was also that weekend with the town and Panorama working together to make it one to remember.