Premier boosts northwest export plans

The Ridley Island bulk terminal at Prince Rupert will be expanded with a $90 million road and rail project, Premier Christy Clark announced Monday.

Container ship leaves Prince Rupert. Facilities also include Ridley Island terminal for bulk goods such as coal and potash

The Ridley Island bulk commodity terminal at Prince Rupert will be expanded with a $90 million road and rail project, Premier Christy Clark announced Monday.

The B.C. government is pitching in $15 million, with another $30 million each from CN Rail and the Prince Rupert Port Authority.

The project includes three inbound and two outbound tracks for coal, potash and other bulk terminal developments at Ridley Island, plus electrical and water connections for new facilities.

Billed as “Canada Starts Here: The B.C. Jobs Plan,” the tour continued Monday with a stop near Kitimat, at the site of a proposed liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminal for shipping to Asia and other international customers.

Clark promised to support LNG exports by speeding up the permit process for large industrial developments, increasing skills training and promoting B.C. gas exports internationally.

The Kitimat LNG project is proposed by Encana Corp., Apache Canada Ltd. and EOG Resources Inc., investors in the Horn River shale gas region and other gas resources in northeastern B.C. Others have been proposed, and Clark said her goal is to have up to three LNG export terminals developed by 2020.

“We want to create a new industry with the capacity to export B.C.’s liquid natural gas to markets overseas,” Clark said at her Prince Rupert stop. “And if we don’t fight for this opportunity now, we could lose it.”

Australia already has LNG facilities exporting gas to Japan, which needs alternatives to its troubled nuclear power system. Australia has two LNG export facilities in operation and six more in development.

NDP MLA Carole James said Clark’s Prince Rupert announcement is a belated commitment of money to a Pacific gateway export program announced in 2006 by former premier Gordon Campbell.

The Prince Rupert and Kitimat announcements are the first stage of a week-long economic development tour being led by Clark and Jobs, Tourism and Innovation Minister Pat Bell.

Announcements are scheduled Tuesday at Thompson Rivers University in Kamloops, Wednesday in Clark’s speech to the Surrey Board of Trade, and a full description of the plan on Thursday in a speech to the Vancouver Board of Trade.

Just Posted

The end of an Echo

Invermere Valley Echo shuts down operations in Columbia Valley

Creating a new narrative for Canal Flats

Economic development consultant hired, lists vision for next 90 days

UPDATE: Crews battle as wildfires rage in B.C. Interior

Crews brace for another day on B.C. firelines as no let up is likely

VIDEO: B.C. wildfires by the numbers

Wildfires continue to engulf regions of B.C.’s forests and communities.

VIDEO: More than 180 wildfires burning across B.C.

Firefighters from other provinces called in to assist

DTSS Grad March 2017

DTSS Grad March 2017

59 cats seized in Chase

59 neglected and injured cats were seized from a property in Chase

Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell dead at age 52

The singer/songwriter passed away early Thursday morning in Detroit

Paying tribute to a primeval passage

Uninterrupted celebrates the Adams River sockeye run in an extraordinary way.

UPDATE: Pemberton Music Festival cancelled, no automatic refunds

In the past, the music festival located in Pemberton drew large crowds last year of 180,000 fans

Medical wait times cost B.C. patients $2,300 each

New Fraser Institute report places B.C. at second worst in costs associated with long wait times

UPDATE: 22 killed at Ariana Grande concert

Witnesses reported hearing two loud bangs coming from near the arena’s bars at about 10:35 p.m.

One in three Canadian high school students have rode with drinking drivers, study reveals

Nearly one in five rode with a driver who’d been smoking pot

Top court to hear federal government’s appeal on residential school records

A lower court judge ruled to destroy the stories after 15 years unless consent is given to preserve

Most Read