Reductions to forestry allowable cut won’t affect jobs in the region

Invermere cut reduced

Changes to the annual allowable cut in the Invermere Timber Supply Area will see a reduction in logging to about 17 per cent less allowance than in 2005. The reduction is coming after the mountain pine beetle epidemic salvage wraps up in the area.

Currently, the allowable annual cut for the Invermere Timber Supply Area is 496,720 cubic metres and will drop down to 424,800 metres after five years. According to Chief Forester Diane Nicholls, under the Forest Act, the chief forester is required to review the allowable annual cut for a timber supply area at least once every 10 years.

For the Invermere area, the new two-tiered allowable cut system is reflective of a transition to lower mid-term harvest levels.

“Two-tiered reflects that fact that the AAC is initially set at 496,720 cubic metres per year until June 2022; then the AAC will become 424,800 cubic metres,” said Nicholls.

With over 1.3 million hectares in the Invermere Timber Supply Area, four major companies hold the rights to logging in the region, including Canfor, North Star Planning, Kinbasket Development Corporation and Akisqnuk Resources Limited. The reduction in the annual allowable cut restricts the amount each license holder is allowed to harvest from the region per year.

“The new allowable annual cut is consistent with recent annual harvest levels so there is not expected to be any impact on jobs,” said Nicholls.

The reduction in the allowable cut will help to sustain additional wildlife habitat areas which had previously been reduced by 16 per cent due to timber harvesting according to Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resources.

Just Posted

The end of an Echo
The end of an Echo

Invermere Valley Echo shuts down operations in Columbia Valley

Creating a new narrative for Canal Flats

Economic development consultant hired, lists vision for next 90 days

Princeton wildfire phots courtesy of Debbie Lyon.
UPDATE: Crews battle as wildfires rage in B.C. Interior

Crews brace for another day on B.C. firelines as no let up is likely

VIDEO: B.C. wildfires by the numbers
VIDEO: B.C. wildfires by the numbers

Wildfires continue to engulf regions of B.C.’s forests and communities.

Aerial view south of Williams Lake Friday afternoon shows dry lightning storm passing over, leaving fire starts behind. Lightning sparked more than 100 new fires Friday. (Black Press)
VIDEO: More than 180 wildfires burning across B.C.

Firefighters from other provinces called in to assist

DTSS Grad March 2017
DTSS Grad March 2017

DTSS Grad March 2017

59 cats seized in Chase
59 cats seized in Chase

59 neglected and injured cats were seized from a property in Chase

(Flickr/Andreas Eldh)
Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell dead at age 52

The singer/songwriter passed away early Thursday morning in Detroit

Paying tribute to a primeval passage
Paying tribute to a primeval passage

Uninterrupted celebrates the Adams River sockeye run in an extraordinary way.

UPDATE: Pemberton Music Festival cancelled, no automatic refunds
UPDATE: Pemberton Music Festival cancelled, no automatic refunds

In the past, the music festival located in Pemberton drew large crowds last year of 180,000 fans

Photo by: WeissPaarz.com
Medical wait times cost B.C. patients $2,300 each

New Fraser Institute report places B.C. at second worst in costs associated with long wait times

UPDATE: 22 killed at Ariana Grande concert
UPDATE: 22 killed at Ariana Grande concert

Witnesses reported hearing two loud bangs coming from near the arena’s bars at about 10:35 p.m.

A university study finds that about nine per cent of Canada’s Grade 11 and 12 students – roughly 66,000 teens – have driven within an hour of drinking and 9.4 per cent drove after using marijuana.                                 Photo: Now-
Leader file
One in three Canadian high school students have rode with drinking drivers, study reveals

Nearly one in five rode with a driver who’d been smoking pot

Top court to hear federal government’s appeal on residential school records
Top court to hear federal government’s appeal on residential school records

A lower court judge ruled to destroy the stories after 15 years unless consent is given to preserve

Most Read