VIDEO: BC Muslim Association calls on police, Muslims to be vigilant after Quebec mosque shooting

Early reports indicate six people killed and five in critical condition after an attack in Quebec City.




The BC Muslim Association urged police to protect places of worship and Muslims to be more vigilant for suspicious activities , in the wake of the fatal shootings at a mosque in Quebec.

Alexandre Bissonnette, 27, faces several charges, including murder, after gunfire erupted at the Islamic Cultural Centre de Quebec in Quebec City Sunday night, leaving six people dead and five others in critical condition. Police have yet to speak on motive.

RELATED: Hospital says 5 critical after Quebec mosque shooting

“Place of worship is a sacred sanctity and should always be maintained irrespective of one’s faith,” the association said.

“It is our belief that no group or individual in a free and just society should live in fear because of their ethnicity, faith or religious beliefs.”

A candlelight vigil is set to take place in Vancouver on Monday evening, outside the Al-Jamia Masjid mosque. Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson and Police Chief Adam Palmer are expected to attend. Al-Jamia Masjid was the first mosque to open its doors in Western Canada, back in 1965.

Another vigil is expected to occur in Surrey on Friday, hosted by the Amazing Tutors Children’s Foundation.

RELATED: Kelowna Islamic Centre outraged over mosque attack

Raza Mirani, general secretary with the Pakistan Canada Association, said most mosques in B.C. have security cameras, but they are still public places and open to all.

“Making it more difficult to attend defeats the purpose” Milani said, adding that he’s waiting to learn about the motive for the Quebec City attack.

In the meantime, he said the messages from British Columbians have all been positive.

He was at the association’s gala on Sunday, celebrating its 50th anniversary when guests got word of the attack.

They were quick to give condolences and support, especially during a time when Mirani said many Muslims are feeling segregated because of U.S. President Donald Trump’s order to ban those from seven Muslim-majourity countries from entering his country.

RELATED: B.C. Religious leaders call on Canada to act against U.S. immigration ban

Premier Christy Clark released a statement Monday morning, saying she was “shocked and saddened by the tragic shooting in Quebec, while Prime Minister Justin Trudeau condemned the incident as “a terrorist attack on Muslims.”

 

 

Just Posted

The end of an Echo

Invermere Valley Echo shuts down operations in Columbia Valley

Creating a new narrative for Canal Flats

Economic development consultant hired, lists vision for next 90 days

UPDATE: Crews battle as wildfires rage in B.C. Interior

Crews brace for another day on B.C. firelines as no let up is likely

VIDEO: B.C. wildfires by the numbers

Wildfires continue to engulf regions of B.C.’s forests and communities.

VIDEO: More than 180 wildfires burning across B.C.

Firefighters from other provinces called in to assist

DTSS Grad March 2017

DTSS Grad March 2017

59 cats seized in Chase

59 neglected and injured cats were seized from a property in Chase

Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell dead at age 52

The singer/songwriter passed away early Thursday morning in Detroit

Paying tribute to a primeval passage

Uninterrupted celebrates the Adams River sockeye run in an extraordinary way.

UPDATE: Pemberton Music Festival cancelled, no automatic refunds

In the past, the music festival located in Pemberton drew large crowds last year of 180,000 fans

Medical wait times cost B.C. patients $2,300 each

New Fraser Institute report places B.C. at second worst in costs associated with long wait times

UPDATE: 22 killed at Ariana Grande concert

Witnesses reported hearing two loud bangs coming from near the arena’s bars at about 10:35 p.m.

One in three Canadian high school students have rode with drinking drivers, study reveals

Nearly one in five rode with a driver who’d been smoking pot

Top court to hear federal government’s appeal on residential school records

A lower court judge ruled to destroy the stories after 15 years unless consent is given to preserve

Most Read