50 years ago: An Invermere landmark was demolished when the small shack behind the Toby Theatre was torn down and burned. It had originally been used as a home that traded many hands before it was removed.
45 years ago: The Windermere District Hospital was awarded provisional accreditation status. This accreditation meant that the hospital had attained recognition of rigid standards of patient care laid down by the Canadian Council on Hospital Accreditation.
40 years ago: Invermere’s main street was improved by the addition of two extensions in the business section. Selkirk Motors and Lake Auto Service both renovated and extended their shops to host more vehicles and services.
35 years ago: The proposed Tamarack Estates 1,000 home subdivision sparked serious discussion and concern in the Windermere District Chamber of Commerce dinner meeting, held in Canal Flats. It was decided that the Chamber would write to the Regional District to request public hearings on the proposed subdivision.
28 years ago: A lack of communication between the school district, school board and village council caused a debate regarding the legal ownership of a road under the Invermere Elementary School. Armstrong Crescent was moved to be protected by a by-law that would make it a part of school property.
25 years ago: Twenty-three cyclists from British Columbia and Alberta were put to the test at Panorama’s First Annual Cycling Classic. Riders were challenged by the hills of the valley, and a rough 18km ride up Peter’s Hill on Toby Road towards the Panorama resort.
20 years ago: A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held for the new $6.1 million hospital facility in Invermere for the Invermere and District Hospital. The hospital was the seventh hospital created in the Columbia Valley over the course of 92 years.
15 years ago: Canadian Olympic bronze medalist and international rower Silken Laumann visited the valley to attend a series of sports seminars in Invermere and Fairmont Hot Springs. Laumann’s appearance was one of the many highlights of the Peak Performances in the Rockies ’96 event.
10 years ago: The old David Thompson Secondary School was considered in too poor condition to allow the DTSS Leadership Class to use a portion of it for its annual Halloween Haunted House.
The District of Invermere council felt that the old gymnasium equipment room and other areas of the old building would cause liability issues and were not safe to use.
5 years ago: The Southeast Fire Centre lifted their open burning ban in the Rocky Mountain Forest District. This allowed for the use of all backyard burning, such as burning barrels under specific categories and fireworks. Campfires were still allowed as well, as they were not prohibited to begin with.